Surface phenomena: Structure of clean surfaces; Notation of surface structure; Structure of adsorbate layers; Stepped surfaces; Surface relaxation and reconstruction; Dynamics and energetics of surfaces.
Heterogeneous Catalysis: Adsorption isotherms, surface area, pore size and acid strength measurements; Porous solids; Catalysis by metals, semiconductors and solid acids; Supported metal catalysts; Catalyst preparation, deactivation and regeneration. Model catalysts: Ammonia synthesis; Hydrogenation of carbon monoxide; Hydrocarbon conversion.
Instrumental methods of catalyst characterization: Diffraction and thermal methods; spectroscopic and microscopic techniques.
- Zangwill, Physics at Surfaces, Cambridge Univ. Press, 1988.
- Gates, Catalytic Chemistry, Wiley, 1992.
- W. Adamson, A.P. Gast, Physical Chemistry of Surfaces, Wiley, 1997.
- M. Thomas and W.J. Thomas, Principles and Practice of Heterogeneous Catalysis, Wiley-VCH, 1997.
- W. Kolasinski, Surface Science: Foundations of Catalysis and Nanoscience, Wiley, 2002.
- K. Chakrabarty and B. Viswanathan, Heterogeneous Catalysis, New Age, 2008.
- A. Somorjai, Y. Li , Introduction to Surface Chemistry and Catalysis, Wiley, 2010.
- Physical chemistry of surfaces by Arthur W. Adamson 1990
- Chemical kinetics and catalysis by R.I. Masel, Wiley-Interscience, 2001.
- The chemical physics of surfaces by Roy S. Morrison, S. Roy, 1990.
- An introduction to chemisorption and catalysis by metals”, R.P.H. Gasser, 1985.
- Modern techniques of surface science by D.P. Woodruff, T.A. Delchar, Cambridge Univ. Press, 1994.
- Introduction to Scanning Tunneling Microscopy by C. J. Chen, Oxford University Press, New York, 1993.