B.Sc (Chemistry) University of Madras, Chennai
MSc ( Chemistry), Annamalai University
Ph.D (Chemistry) IITMadras (joined in 2012 under the guidance
of Prof. R.Dhamodharan )
Graduate Trainee (National Metallurgical Lab, CSIR, Chennai).
(Nov.1984 to April 1986)
Worked in the area of Wet and Instrumental methods of analysis
for metals, alloys, ceramics, clays, ores and minerals. Instruments
operated involves Atomic Absorption Spectrophotometer (VARION),
Metal spectrophotometer, Flame Photometer.”
Senior Project Technician (MRL sponsored IC&SR Project,
IIT Madras),(April 1986 to March 1989)
Worked in the area of Fluidised Cracking Catalyst development for
Crude oil Cracking. Synthesis/modification of Zeolites, clay materials,
Catalyst formulation in lab and
pilot plant level operations like Spray
Drying, Filter press filtration etc.,
Instruments operated like
FT-IR (PERKIN ELMER), Gas Analyser (BALZERS), Powder XRD (RIGAKU), High
Pressure Reactor (SOTELEM).
Technical Assistant (1989-1997)
TGA (PERKIN ELMER), DSC (PERKIN ELMER), Sorptometer (Carlo Erba).
Senior Technical Assistant (1997-2010)
Technical Officer ( 2010-Till date)
Operation and Maintenance of the following
1. Thermogravimetric analyzer (TA Instruments Q500 Hi-Res TGA / PERKIN
2. Differential Scanning Calorimeter (TA Instruments Q200 MDSC)
3. Porosimeter (Micromeritics ASAP 2020)
4. Chemisorption TPD/TPR unit ( Micromeritics Chemisorb 2750)
1. B.Tech Undergraduate Lab (CY1002) – Instructions to students
and Lab arrangements.
2. Preparatory Course – Lab arrangements
List of publications :
1. S.Kannan, A.Narayanan, C.S.Swamy
"Effect of Composition on the Physico Chemical properties
of nickel aluminium
Journal of Materials Science, vol 31(1996) pages
2. S.Velu, A.Narayanan, V.Ramkumar, C.S.Swamy
"Effect of Interlayer anions on the physico
chemical properties of zinc-aluminium hydrotalcite like compounds.
Journal of Material Science vol32,(1997) pages 957-964
3. K.D.Chandrasekaran, A.Narayanan,
"Use of spray drier in forming Pseudoboehmite/alumino
Paper presented in “CHEMCON91” Industrial
Chemical Engineers Congress
Organized by Anna University, Madras.
4. U.Kameswari, A.Narayanan,V.Ramkumar, Dorothy Samuel
"Reaction of Piperidine with farmaldehyde over
In the book "Selected studies in heterogeneous
catalysis" published and dedicated to Prof. C.S.Swamy on his 60th
Birth Day. In May1990 edited by Prof. B.Viswanathan.
5. Braja Gopal Mishra, G.Ranga Rao, G.Vittal Babu, A.Narayanan
"Effect of preparative conditions and cerium
incorporation on the physico chemical properties and catalytic activity
of ZrO2- pillared clays.”
Bulletin of the Catalysis Society of India vol 1
(2002) pages 79-89.
6. A.Narayanan, R.Dhamodharan
7. A. Narayanan, R. Kartik, E. Sangeetha and R. Dhamodharan
“Super water-absorbing new material from chitosan,
EDTA and urea”
Carbohydrate Polymers, vol 134(2015),337-343.
“Super Water Absorbing Polymeric Gel from Chitosan, Citric Acid
Synthesis and Mechanism of Water Absorption “
Carbohydrate Polymers (2018), 191, 152-160.
Patents Filed :
1. An Indian Patent Application 2505/CHE/2014 dated May 2014 has been
filed for the preparation of CHEDUR.
Papers presented in National Conference
1.“Eco-friendly super absorbing new material from chitosan,
citric acid and urea for slow release of water, urea and
micro-nutrients to soil” In “National
Conference on the Applications of the Derivatives of Chitin and Chitosan”.
Department of Chemistry,The Gandhigram Rural Institute
Deemed University, Dindigul, Tamil Nadu (August 2014).